Tuesday 10 June 2014

Melanie Tomlinson's Magnificent Menagerie

Melanie Tomlinson is an artist working with illustration and metal.  She creates stunning sculptures and dioramas using techniques she has honed over many years that involve her creating gouache paintings which after being printed on to tin are then formed into beautiful works of art.  I met Melanie at BCTF where she was exhibiting her brooches.

Melanie's stand at BCTF
I have to admit I am a bit of a stalker when it comes to Melanie's work and I am lucky enough to own a butterfly brooch of my own. I also have my eye on the dragonflies with the stunning cut out wings.

I love the wings of these insects, so intricate.

When looking at Melanie's stand two things really grab you, the colour and the detail in each piece.  When the brooches are all displayed together they remind me of beautiful iridescent specimens in Victorian collection trays and they draw me in.

A display reminiscent of Victorian collectors trays

beautiful detail
Her jewellery ranges are not just insect based, she has birds and fish too, all equally as colourful and intricate.  Should you want a closer look at some of Melanie's work you can find her website here .



No comments:

Post a Comment