Saturday 3 July 2010

Petri the Sheep!



A little while ago I heard of a project to create fibreglass sheep to be painted by local artists and then displayed in places of interest around Skipton, London has it's elephants, Liverpool the Super lamb banana and Manchester has had cows. It sounded pretty cool so I decided to submit an entry, not really imagining I would be chosen. It was sent, forgotten about until about a month ago I recieved an email saying 'CONGRATULATIONS' you have been commissioned to decorate one of our sheep. Just a few days later this was the view from my front door as the sheep was delivered.
Where do you keep a 5ft by 4ft fibre glass ram? In your dining room of course! Heaven knows what my neighbours thought as this was being carried into the house!



This is what greets me every time I walk into the room. The children have named it Molly but his pedigree name is Petri as my design had the look of cultures growing in a petri dish.

Here he is gradually taking shape. Spotty at first:



But after a bit of work he began to look better than a sheep with measles!



At last I have got to the stage where is can be varnished and after just one coat he is looking particularly handsome if I do say so myself!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs. Southon,
    I like the sheep idea. In Venice Florida, the little city is decorated similarly except with pigs. I don't know the origin of the phenomenon but it is rather interesting. Congrats on your first post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank very much Mr B for leaving your comment and for being my first poster!

    ReplyDelete